Sunday, December 6, 2009

Vegetarian thai red curry

I recently read Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer and because of his compelling argument, backed up by strong research, I am not eating meat or seafood. I have been both vegetarian and vegan in the past but I always coasted back to the omnivore lifestyle. This time I feel much more committed. I am trying to find satisfying vegetarian and vegan recipes to help keep me on this new path which is why I purchased the Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health Cookbook.

I have the original Moosewood cookbook but it is so full of boring pasta recipes filled with dairy that I hardly ever reach for it. I have flipped through all of the recipes in this new book and there are plenty that are interesting. This was my first attempt and we really liked the result. Let me know if you make it. I think it could be done with lots of different vegetables.


8 ounces firm tofu, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
2 Tbls soy sauce
1 Tbls grated ginger
4 Tsps vegetable oil
3 Garlic cloves minced
1/4 cup minced shallots
1 Tbls Thai red curry sauce
1 14 ounce can of coconut milk
1 Cup water
2 Keiffer lime leaves
1 Cup 1/4 inch thick cliced carrots
3 Cups bite size cauliflower florets
1 Cup cut green beans
1 Red or yellow bell pepper cut into strips
1/4 Cup chopped basil
1/4 Cup chopped cilantro
Sliced limes

1. In a bowl toss together the tofu, soy, and 1 tsp. of the ginger. Set aside for 10-15 minutes while you prep the vegetables. Then drain the tofu and save marinade.

2. In a skillet on medium heat, warm 2 tsps of the oil and add the tofu cubes. Cook sirring for about 5 minutes until the tofu is golden. Set aside.

3. In a soup pot on medium high, warm the remaining 2 tsps of oil. Add the rest of the ginger, the garlic, shallots, and the curry paste and cook stirring constantly for about a minute.
add the coconut milk, water, and lime leaves and bring to a boil on high heat. Stir in the carrots and cauliflower and bring back to a low boil. Now, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the green beans and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers, basil, tofu cubes, and the reserved marinade. Return to a simmer for 3-5 minutes until all of the vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the cilantro and squeeze half a lime over top. Add salt and curry paste to taste if necessary.

I served this over brown rice the first time. The next night we had it as a soup which was really satisfying. I think it would also be good over asian noodles with peanuts on top. Also, serve with lime wedges at the table.

No comments: