Friday, January 2, 2009

Spicy Cashews

This is one of my favorite Christmas gifts to make for friends. Spicy cashews! They are so delicious and really easy to make. I like them plain, they are good served alongside beer, and I also chop them up over vanilla ice cream. The original recipe comes from The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook by Christopher Kimball. I always add more cayenne and cumin. I will publish the original recipe, you can make your own variations.


Spicy Cashews
The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook
Christopher Kimball
1 egg white
1 tbsp water
1 lbs salted cashews
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coarse salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper

1. Heat oven to 250 degrees.

2. Whisk the egg white with the water until foamy, add cashews and stir till well coated.
Transfer to a strainer and let drain for 2 minutes.

3. Mix the remaining ingredients together and add the nuts, tossing to coat as evenly as possible. Spread the cashews on a baking sheet in a single layer.

4. Bake for 40 minutes, remove from oven and gently turn them over, try to keep them in a single layer. Bake for another 20-30 minutes.

5. Loosen with a spatula and let cool. These aren't good to eat until they are completely dry. They store well but trust me, one batch won't last long!

1 comment:

Ash Samson said...

hey Heather! I LOVE that you take your camera to restaurants with you! And I love your recipes. Your blog is like a one-stop shop for dinner ideas! Fabulous! I saw your comment on our blog and yes, it was a shame that we missed you in Portland. Tyrone is the world's WORST planner, of anything. Don't take it personally. I didn't even know you guys had talked about getting together until we were driving back to Seattle and he was like "oh damn, I was meant to email Heather about dinner!" next time we are there I will be in charge of our plans and we will DEFINITELY meet up with you guys. And we will be back....we loved it! Also, anytime you are in Seattle, please get in touch. So nice to be out of the snow and ice this Winter hey? ;) Take care!