Sunday, March 23, 2008

Salame Dolce - Sweet Italian Dessert

I am totally frustrated with the amount of ice surrounding our home right now. It is glacial and I feel stuck. I know Spring is coming but it is taking forever.
I am planning a party. Really it's a distraction from the 10 degree mornings and the late nights working.
I always start with dessert so I'm scouring cookbooks, notes, the web, for interesting weird intensely tasty little bites. I made the first recipe today. It's called Salame Dolce. Mario has one version on the food network as do a few other Italian sites. I had this in Tuscany. It came with an after dinner drink and I really thought it was a savory slice of salami. Quite the opposite and really good. I served mine with soft whipped cream, slightly sweet. It's sort of fun and super easy. You can play around with the ingredients. I'm going to try it with different cookies next time. Our local coffee shop has these homemade biscotti that are almond orange flavored. For next time. Possible on the first warm day when we can sit outside.



Salame Dolce
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
5 ounces melted butter
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ounce Grand Marnier, or other liqueur
6 ounces cooking crumbs, a little more than a cup
(Try small butter cookies, or biscotti, can easily be crunchy store bought)

1. Melt the butter and let it cool. Crush the cookies leaving some pieces a little larger than others so they resemble the fat in a salame.

2. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until smooth. Add the melted butter and then cocoa powder. Make sure each addition is mixed in before adding the next. Add the liqueur mixing to incorporate.

3. Finally, add the cookies to the mixture and stir to combine.

4. Form a salame-like shape and roll it in aluminum foil. Place in the freezer for 3-4 hours or until firm. Unwrap and slice. Serve with soft whipped cream.

No comments: